Sunday, September 28, 2008

Day 91

Ok, so one other thing that was really awesome yesterday at the land. The whole trip was so great that I am dedicating an entire weekend of blogging to it. So, besides digging up buried treasure, what else was awesome? A giant bonfire. For real, when is a giant bonfire not awesome?

So, here is how it went down. At the land, there is a firepit. Or, at least there used to be. Greg has spent a lot of time and effort finding giant rocks to surround the campfire, and had a very nice little firepit. There was even a sizeable stack of wood, very neatly organized near said firepit. But what happened (the same thing happens at my place all the time) is that as wood was brought to burn, none was burned, and it was all just thrown on the pile, getting less organized as it went (now, at my place, its usually clothes, or mail, or paperwork stuff, that just piles up until it becomes a nuisance).

Then after a while, the grass stopped getting mowed around the firepit because there were a lot of sticks and stuff in the grass. Well, it took three of us a little bit, but we mowed the grass amd cleaned up the pile a bit, but to really get rid of the mess, we needed to burn a lot of the wood. We were then presented with two choices. We could build a nice size fire and continually feed it for a long time, or we could pour gas on a portion of the giant pile and let it burn as a whole for a long time. Any guesses as to what three grown men decided?

I was about 20 feet away and still very hot

Of course we burned the giant pile. Now, I know what some of you are saying, "Ben, you already had fire as the awesomosity before (Day 8), what gives?" Well, that fire was the reasonable sized fire burned for a long time, constantly fed. This was just one big burn. This is way more awesome, but you can't do this in Manchester, where the last fire was.

So, the Task O' The Day (I finally saw the results, and I promise I'll have a new poll up tomorrow) is to have, or at least attend, or if necessary, plan to attend a bonfire this fall. I don't blame you if you wait until it is a little cooler for it. If possible, play pass the hot orange coal with Brent Mackey, where you pick up a hot orange coal and bat it around passing it back and forth. Ask me more if you want to know.

Here is the picture, taken as I prepared for my fantasy hockey draft (my team is decent, though I could use a better backup goalie).


Thanks everybody, you make writing this worthwhile. See you tomorrow!

No comments: