Monday, October 13, 2008

Day 105

Today, the awesomosity is pretty obvious. It's Columbus Day! Hooray!

So what does Columbus day mean to Americans (because it doesn't mean much to the rest of the world certainly.)? It means we don't get mail and we can't go to the bank. I am fairly certain schools are in today. But I love getting mail (e or snail) and I have a deposit to make at the bank. So, Mr. Columbus, boo you. I'm kind of kidding. Only kind of because Columbus wasn't the first to discover America, he didn't actually land in America, and he thought he was in India. Seriously.

I did want to take a minute and talk about holidays. Because Holidays are the awesomosity for today. I have come up with a few things that are somewhat interesting (of course depending on your definition of interesting). First, I found a website that lists every major holiday in the world up until 2050 (which seems a waste of time since the Aztec calendar thinks the world will end in 2012). But it is an interesting, although hard to navigate, website. Check it out here.

Then I thought I would look into some more obscure holidays and I found this website. It lists all kinds of obscure holidays. My favorite for the month of October is Wear Something Gaudy Day, which is this Friday! It found its roots in the 70s TV show Three's Company. There are a lot of really awesome holidays listed here, and you can totally make up your own!

Lastly, if you want to really celebrate Columbus Day, here are a few activities you can do (mostly made for children, but were all really kids at heart, right?).

Task(s) o' The Day(s): I have to make them all plural because I totally neglected to let you know how to be more awesome all weekend. Though I think they were fairly obvious. Saturday (Junky Car Club), join the JCC. If you don't qualify, then sell your nice car and get a beater. I didn't say they would be simple and easy tasks, just ways to be more awesome. Sunday (Gchat), get a gmail account. Or at least get Google Talk. Once you have either and/or both, send me an instant message using it. It'll be totally awesome.

Today, I'm going to give you two choices. One, find you favorite obscure holiday in the next month and celebrate it with vigour. Let me know so I can join in your celebration. The second, slightly more difficult task would be to create your own holiday (you can do that here, but you'll have to wait until May 1st for Make your own holiday day!). Definitely let us all know so we can kick of the inaguraul celebration of your day with serious enthusiasm!

I was lazy with my picture today, but here it is:


Thanks for checking me out! See you in the morning!

No comments: