Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 72

Today's awesomosity comes from a movie I watched last night, thanks to Netflix.

I don't want to ruin that vacation you have planned to Rio, but if you watch this movie, it just might. Actually it won't. Just know that most of the exotic cities you go to have a really bad slum not so far from the very touristy areas we rich Americans go to. Rio Di Janiero is no different.

The movie, City of God, is an incredible story based on true events about a city less than fifteen miles from Rio. I couldn't find anything about the true story it was based on, but it all seems like a plausible story. Check out the trailer:


Wasn't that cool? The thing you should know about the movie before you watch it is that it is all in Portugese and subtitled. For me, that helps me pay more attention to the movie itself, but I like to read. If you want to just sit back and enjoy a movie, this is a great story, but you gotta work a little for it.

If you do rent the DVD, I highly recommend the special features. It has actual interviews with hoods and normal people that currently live in the city.

From a film standpoint, it is a very well told story that jumps around a bit, but all for dramatic effect, and they make sure you can follow the story very easily.

Anyway, here is the official Miramax site, and here is what Wikipedia says about it.

Here is a picture of me taken upstairs in my parents place, just for a different background.


Thanks for reading, see you in the morning!

2 comments:

Gavin Masterson said...

it's a great flick. good stuff. goodpost.

Anonymous said...

I watched this movie a couple of years ago and I swear it is one of the best I have ever seen.