Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 46

46, oh what to say about 46. I know. Vote on the poll. Click on the ads. Tell your awesome friends about the awesome blog. Comment on the blog. Add up your awesome points and let me know.

I am playing baseball as I think most of you know. I used to play baseball in high school and for 1/6th of my years in college (that's just one year). I used to play 10+ years ago. I currently play less than 3 days ago.

I thought it would be a ton of fun, which it is. I thought I would pitch well, which I have to an extent. Here is what I didn't think. That I would need to get in shape. What, just because I'm gonna throw 100 or so pitches every 10 days or so I should be in some kind of shape? (And I guess I am kind of in a shape, just not in shape.)

So, long story short, my team, not doing so hot this year. This is our team's (Million $ Men) page, and this is the league's (MSBL) page, if you're interested in seeing more about that. In fact, we have lost 16 straight. But hey, if we get hot in the playoffs, anything can happen, right, right? Ok, maybe not, but I gotta keep some hope alive.

Ok, back to topic (like there is a topic). I didn't get in shape and pitched a bunch. My arm hurts. Duh. Well, I had a doctor's visit recently and asked him about my elbow. He said I have Golfer's Elbow (I explained to him, that while I golf, I think pitching a baseball is what caused the issue. Apparently Golfer's Elbow is just the name, there are a lot of things that can cause it, check out what else causes it here.) The doc recommends I stop pitching (we all know that won't happen) or at least get some physical therapy (like I can afford it).

A physical therapist calls me to schedule an appointment. I explain that I am poor, she says, "Let's see what your insurance will cover." It covers up to a $25 co-pay. Like I said, I'm poor. She says, "How about a $5 co-pay?" I say, "When can I come in?"

There are many kinds of treatments available for those that have golfer's elbow and won't quit using it. Basically, I need to ice it several times a day, take I-B-Profen (I can't spell the real word) a few times a day, and stretch regularly. But it won't heal until I quit using it (6 more games). In addition to all this, the therapist says that I should get some medicine called Dexamethasone Phosphate. According to Web MD, it can treat all kinds of stuff.

Anyway, they give it to me using a treatment called
transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). They squirt some meds on a pad thing, then they hook it up via two sticky pads on my arm and shock me. Basically, they are making a negative current go through the pad, through my muscles (boy, that's a long way, what with all those big, hug muscles) and into the damaged tendon. It is pretty awesome. I show up and they do some ultrasound (can't tell if its a boy or girl yet) and then they shock me for a half hour or so.

Physical therapy is awesome. They can help heal all sorts of stuff. And, they totally cut me a deal. I was trying to remember what this therapy was called, but I knew it had to do with negative ions, so I googled negative ion physical therapy. Apparently there are some serious medical breakthroughs happening with this technology. Seriously, you should check out the Google results.

Enough already, physical therapy is awesome, especially when they shock you.

Here is a picture, you better enjoy the stache while it lasts, there's no telling how long it'll be around or what is next.


See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

joe said...

I think that everyone should develop big hug muscles.

636benjamin said...

I agree. I use my hug muscles a lot