Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 44

44 Magnum that is. Ok, that was just dumb, sorry about that.

So, as anticipated, last night was very awesome. Let me explain a little about what went down. It was the 5th annual Llywelyns softball game. The 3 St. Louis area locations all get together for a no-holds barred drinking contest. Oh, and they play softball.

I'm gonna guess there were maybe 60-70 people there total. I know there were 3 kegs and well over 300 jello shots, plus who knows what else. All that was gone before the night was over, these are some drinkin' fools. But, like I said, there was some softball playing going on in between keg stands.

They played a round robin format, so each location played the other two. First up; Webster vs. West End. West End wins it 6-2. Next up; Webster vs. Soulard. Our team had spent a little time drinking in preperation, and were therefore totally unprepared to play. We lost 3-0. (I did have a single, but got doubled off on a line drive).

So, we played West End next. They win, they win the tournament. We win, its a 3-way tie. I am very proud to say that I got the scoring started in the second inning with a lead-off home run. Not out of the park, but I saw they had two girls in right field, so I picked on them. I did hit it pretty good though, I must say. We did not stop scoring, putting up 6 in the 2nd. By the bottom of the 4th, we put up 10 and won by 10-run rule, 10-0.

Now, a conundrum. Each team had won a game and lost a game. We scored more than either team, but had also been shut out. The owners decided on a one inning round robin play off. We stayed on the field to play the West End. They didn't score. I actually led off for us with a double, and was hit in by a gound out and single. We won, 1-0.

Then we play Webster for the Championship. We bat first, putting up a 4 spot. We then continued our solid defensive play to win 4-1.

Soulard won the Championship for the 3rd straight year!!!

So, all this is quite awesome. If you don't believe me, hang out with 60 or 70 totally wasted people while being completely sober and you'll see, its a good time.

I think the most awesome was my uniform. Our bar manager, Sean, was our team captain (and he gave several very rousing and inspiring pep talks). He named me the assistant coach, a position I took seriously. I got to thinking, what does a coach look like? Well, a coach wears coaches shorts, obviously. And long socks. And a 3/4 sleeve shirt. And has a fantastic mustache. I looked good. My two favorite quotes relating to my outfit were from my nephew Ahren, who is 3, who said, "Uncle Ben, you look silly." Then I knew I had nailed it. The other quote comes from the GM of all 3 St. Louis Llywelyns, Tom, who said, "There is no way I would let you anywhere near my kids." Bingo.

I will post a picture of my outfit, as soon as one of the many people who took my photograph sends me a copy, which will hopefully be today sometime.

In the meantime, enjoy the 'stache in this picture, my picture of the day:


Thanks for reading, see you tomorrow!

No comments: