Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 30

Woot! I'm in triple digits! Oh, wait, no, I just have a three in my consecutive days streak. Close enough!

I hope everyone planted a tree yesterday, I did.

The poll is closed and the application has been submitted to Google AdSense. I have to be approved by them before they will put ads on my site. I'm hopeful.

On to the awesomosity, which, believe it or not, comes with a story.

Last night I was meeting with the guys I made The Doubtful Martyr with (we are making an 'alternate' ending, it's gonna be great!) at Starbucks at Clayton and Lindbergh. That is a doozy of a place to get to, but it is central and as good as any other place. So, were meeting at 7:30. Around 6 or so, I'm pretty bored, but, just then, I get a fantabulous idea. I say to myself, "Ben, why not go there now, you know County Library headquarters are just down the street. You can check the internet and get a good book to boot!" So, I set off on my journey.

About half way to Headquarters I remember something that could prove to foil my trip. I live in the city. I have a city library card. My county library card has expired, since I no longer live in the county. Dangit. Well, I'm this far, might as well just go, they should at least let me on the internet, and who can't kill some time on the internet, right?

I arrive at Headquarters around 7pm. I say, just for giggles, let's see if they give me a card. I mean, I asked city library, they will give cards to county residents (I suppose so you can borrow a book from a city library on your lunch break while working downtown), maybe county has a similar policy.

Turns out they do, and I am now a very proud card-holder for both the St. Louis County and St. Louis City pulic libraries!

For those of you who don't frequent your local (or not so local, if you're just out and about and bored), let me tell you a few of the benefits, hopefully to encourage you to go to your local branch and find out for yourself the awesomosity of the public library.

They have books. Lots of them. They have fiction, non-fiction, reference, public records, periodicals (magazines, for those that don't know), newspapers, old newspapers on microfiche (now that is fun stuff to play with), and more reading material. They also, as previously mentioned, have computers. To look up stuff, to surf the 'net, to do reasearch on, and probably more. They also have movies. For free. New releases and everything. It is a great place to 'rent' movies (it's free, unless you bring it back late, hence the quotes around rent). It is also just a great place to sit quietly and relax, or read, or study. I think a lot of branches have wi-fi now, so you can bring your laptop.

Go visit a library, seriously, they are awesome.

Now, for a first in the awesome blog, a downside. *GASP*

When they gave me my precious new card last night, do you know what else they gave me? A card to put on my keychain. I am not a fan of keychain cards. They are big and bulky and always get in the way. They really annoy me, and it seems as if everyone is giving you one these days. Fortunately, I do not have to use it, as I did when I was a member of the YMCA, they ONLY gave me a keychain card. GRRR.

Ok, enough ranting.

I hope to have ads up soon, I'll keep you posted on the process. I'll also have a new poll soon, so watch out for that.

Here's todays picture with all my various, awesome, library cards:


See you tomorrow!

And, in case you are wondering, I got the latest Stephen King book, Duma Key, and only because the latest Rob Bell book, Sex God, was not in the library.

No comments: