Friday, December 5, 2008

Day 158

So, last night, I helped to serve at my church. Every year they have a dinner for the staff and elders of the church. Since they serve us all year, we can serve them for one night. It's a good deal. And, as an added bonus, they gave all of us that helped out the leftovers, so I food for several days now. It's pretty great. I did this last year with a bunch of my friends. This year they asked the Young Marrieds to help out. They didn't get enough people, so I was one of the other people that they called. It became a little awkward when they were thanking the people who were serving and called us all young marrieds. Everyone else there was married excedpt me, so I just casually ducked behind everyone else. It was some good times. And, it turns out, I'm not so bad at carving a ham. Huh! Who knew?

So, why am I telling you all this? Because while all of us that were serving were chatting, my friend Brent mentioned that he met someone that used to work in Antarctica. How awesome is that? Pretty awesome. So, the awesomosity for the day today is jobs in Antartica. You don't have to be a scientist (though that helps) to get a job, but they can be a little challenging to find.

First, I think you have to realize that Antarctica is a vacation destination. Some like beaches, some people like snow. This is the extreme of snow, but still. I would go. So, here are a few sites that talk about vacationing there.

Cool Antarctica

Natural Habitat Adventures

Now, if you happen to be Austrailian, you can go to this website to look for jobs. As it turns out, Antarctica (that is a tough word to type) is not really "owned" by anyone. They have no government. It is quite an interesting setup. Several countries lay claim to several portions, but there is a treaty in place that says essentially that Antarctica will niether recognize or reject any claims. Wierd.

So, you're not Austrailian, but you still want a job? Check out this blog (I think it would probably be a pretty interesting blog anyhow), he did a bunch of research about working there.

Here is the USAP (U.S. Antarctic Program) site, where it tells you about working there, in whatever specialty you may have.

And, the U.S. contracts all its "support" positions to Raytheon, so visit their site to find out about a job that an average person can do (NOT that you are average, you are in fact, quite awesome! I just mean you are not a scientist specializing in the structure of penguin DNA or soemthing).

Task o' The Day: Get a job in Antarctica. If you do this, you are officially in charge of writing this blog, because that would be the awesomist thing ever. If you can't (or won't) do that, then tell us all about your oddest job. Mine was selling satelite dishes door-to-door. That sucked. What's yours?

Here I am, looking like I'm ready for Antarctica (it is currently 15-24 degrees Farenheit there).

3 comments:

Wayward Dork said...

Glad to see you are appropriately dressed today Benjamin! :)

Wayward Dork said...

I used to ruffle lace on an industrial sewing machine at a factory that sold sewing stuff. It was NOT awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the link and praise...I actually got the job in Antarctica long before I ever really researched it...Just got an offer for a fifth season - this time at Palmer Station on the peninsula and I'm really excited.

though I agree a job in Antarctica is pretty awesome, I'm not going to be in charge of writing here...can't keep up with my writing projects as it is.