Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 154

Good Monday everyone! I hope and trust you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend and got some much needed rest. I did not get quite as much as I intended to get, but I'm doing all right, don't you worry about me. Now I am back at the full-time job that is getting ever closer to fruition. Many, in fact, most, of the things we do are awesome, and I will be telling you many of these awesome things, but I'll start with this one. Google Docs.

What's so awesome about Google Docs, you say? What's not would be the shorter answer. So far, the only thing I wish Google Docs could do that it can't (yet) is create a drop-down menu in a spreadsheet. So, then, what can it do? Everything else. Yes, it will change your babies diaper. It's that awesome.

But seriously, you can upload or create most any type of document including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and a lot more. Here is where it gets very cool. Say I'm on a Mac (which I am) and you are on a PC, and we want to both work on an Excel document. We simply upload it to Google Docs, share it with each other, and we can both edit that document. At the same time. From different computers. For real.

I'm starting to wonder just what can't Google Docs do? This weekend, I was talking with my Aunts (Cheryl and Bert). Aunt Cheryl runs a piano tuning business (and she is quite awesome at it). She needs to create a spreadsheet with her contacts on it. She is trying to figure out a way to automate it so that she doesn't have to spend all that time entering data when she could be tuning pianos. I said, "I bet Google Docs can do it!" Both Aunts looked at me funny and said, "What's that?" My brother chimed in to confirm its awesomeness. I explained that you could just create a spreadsheet, then make a form with all the data you wanted, which you can e-mail or embed in a website, and it will all automatically update in your Google Docs. I gave it a test, it worked, so I'm gonna give it a slightly larger test. Here is a form I created just for you.



Task O' The Day: Fill out my little form, there will be a reward in it for you. Fill out as much or little as you want. Then get to using Google Docs, you won't be disappointed.

Here I am at the "office".

Have a spectiffisome day!

No comments: