Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 60

DITKA!

Ok, that was a private joke, so hopefully at least one guy gets it. And that one guy is coincidentally today's awesomosity, since you all voted I could make the awesomeness a person.

And that person is Patrick Tobin.

I know this looks like a picture you would have on a casket at a funeral,
or on a Bob Dylanesque album cover, but I took this several years ago and I love it.

Where to start in talking about Patrick. We originally met in Jr High at E-Free, but it wasn't until sometime around 2000 we started hanging out more after working together and having mutual friends from Famous-Barr.

We hung out a lot and went to a number of different bars together (what was it, 76 Pat?). I'll recount a few of my favorite stories.

Obviously, when we met Bill Macy. You may know him as William H. Macy, but he said to call him Bill, so I do. We were in Memphis (he was helping me with a Mr. Video job) and had gone to Beale Street for a while. After getting back to the hotel, we decided a night cap at the hotel bar was in order. As we approached the bar, I say to Pat, "Hey Pat, isn't that William H. Macy at the end of the bar?" Pat says, "Get me a Budweiser, I'll be back" and takes off directly for Bill. After a few minutes, he brings me down to say hi, and that was when I met Bill Macy. Great guy. Great weekend.

The other anecdote I'll put in here was when Patrick and I went to Denny's (that used to be at Manchester and 141) late one night to grab a bite. A very nice oriental woman took care of us. As we were leaving, we planned to each pay for our own meal. I handed her the bill and said, "I would just like to pay for me, thanks." She says, "OK, sounds good!" then proceeded to put the whole bill on my card. Awesome. Since, the phrase, "OK, sounds good" has become a bit of a catchphrase for us.

Patrick and I really love reminiscing and enjoying the past, until recently when he moved to Chicago. Pat always said he was going to move to Chicago or Ireland (and become a postman in Ireland) and I always said that I would believe it when I saw it. Well, last fall he moved to take a job at Children's Memorial Hospital (I think thats the right hospital). He had been an anesthesiologist assistant at St. Luke's for several years, but knew that if this really was to be his career, he needed to keep advancing. In order to keep advancing, he took this job. Part of the requirement for the job was to pass the ASATT (
The American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians) certification exam. Here is the list of recommended reading to pass that exam. This list includes this book: Quaal, Comprehensive Intraaortic Balloon Counterpulsation, 2nd Edition (1993) Mosby. Are you kidding me? I don't know half the words in that title, but my friend Patrick, he does. He knows all about Intraaortic balloons (I don't think thats about making balloon animals for kids).

So, the reason Patrick made today's awesomosity is becuase he passed this ridiculous exam. He passed it!! This is his BAR exam, or Series 7, or whatever really tough test you may have to pass for work, this is it and he did it! I am crazy proud of him!

Now Patrick says he is going to move to New York, I just ask, when and where?

Way to go Patrick! You're nails!

Here's the picture, done in sepia tone for Patrick.

HOYA!

Thanks for reading, see you in the AM!