Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 57

I think Jimmy Buffett first sang about Cheeseburgers in Paradise (he even named a restaraunt chain after it) and he may not have even been aware of cheeseburger casserole.

This is a very easy awesomeness. I know a few of you have had my cheeseburger casserole, and I know Jim Barnard (chocolate milk speeds him up) won't eat anything else if I'm cooking. For all of you bachelors out there (and even you married folk, after all, my sister-in-law Adrianne gave me the recipe) here is the secret to a delicious, nutricious, easy to prepare, hard to screw up dinner.

Start with a pound or so of ground meat (I prefer beef, but I bet some spicy sausage would be delicious) thawed. Oh, and set the oven to 350 or so. Get a Pyrex casserole dish (probably like 9" x 13" or so I guess) and spray with Pam. Put meat in dish. Add 1 can of Capbells cheddar cheese soup, 1 can of cream of mushroom (or I suppose any other cream soup) and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes to the meat in the dish. Mix it up real good.

At this point I like to cover the delicious mixture with shredded cheddar cheese. Then you need to add some potatoes. French fries and tater tots seem to work best, but feel free to experiment here. Last night I made it with stringy hash browns, which was just ok, not great, but its what I had, and it was of course very delicious. Add some seasoning to the potatoes and add more shredded cheese. Then stick it in the oven.

It usually takes about a half hour to cook, but you need to check the casserole. You should see some of the cheesy goodness mixture bubbling up through the scrumptious potatoes. At this point, take out the casserole and turn off the oven.

I recommend waiting about 5 or 10 minutes before enjoying. Slop some on a plate and devour with a fork. Its the perfect meal, meat, cheese, veggies (tomatoes and mushrooms) and starch (potatoes). I recommend finishing with an ice cream sandwich.

That is a picture of my casserole in the refrigerator, where I plan on enjoying it more later.

I'm thinking of writing a cookbook for bachelors, and it would include several casseroles, because they are delicious and easy and dirty just one dish. Awesome.

Enjoy the picture taken in front of my home. Thanks for reading.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: