Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 201

Ben is the eternal optimist - which is why I am surprised by his openness to me (the eternal pessimist) to guest write one of his blog entries while he is away on this amazing trip . . . maybe it is his optimism that I will come up with some Awesomosity. My name is Katie, and I write a blog called Sarcastic and Single.

Today's Awesomosity comes from what is going on up in my living room as I type. A large, impromptu gathering of friends. Some dear friends, some new friends. The Awesomosity is friends. I once told a friend that friends are the family that you pick. And I think that is true. Most people feel very lucky if they have one or two close friends - and many (as evidence of our society) are aching for friends, companionship, community. So at risk of getting a little sappy - which is not my nature - I will stop it at that. Friends are the family you pick, and I have been fortunate to have some great family here in St. Louis, which is great for those days that I really miss being at home and around my family.


Task-O-The Day: call a friend and tell them that you are thankful for them. It has the potential to be totally awkward, but in the end it is worth it.


Wow, how totally out of character for me and for this blog. Oh well, I'm just a guest.

1 comment:

John said...

you should be sappy more often, my friend. I agree 100% with your sentiments here. Great post!