Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 134

One day when I came home at lunchtime,
I heard a funny noise.
Went out to the back yard to find out if it was,
one of those rowdy boys.
Stood there with my neighbor called Peter,
and a Flux Capacitor.

He said that he built a time machine.
Like one in a film I've seen,
yeah yeah... he said...

I've been to the year 3000
not much has changed but they lived under water.
And your great great great grand daughter,
is doing fine (is doooin fine).

Do you think that was:
A) A dream I had last night (set in poetic pentameter)?
B) A new short story I am working on?
C) The awesomosity of the day?

The correct answer is "C". This is a song originally by "Busted", a British band, and was then "covered" by the Jonas Brothers recently. I think there should be a law that you have to wait more than 10 years or so to cover a song, but when Disney is paying, I suppose you can do whatever you want.



So, I heard this song repeatedly over the weekend at the cheer competition and was, quite frankly, amazed that anyone could like this song. So, then, you're asking, how is it the awesomosity of the day? Well, I guess it's more general than that, the awesomosity is officially getting a horrible song stuck in your head. How is that awesome? Well, let me tell you.

Getting a song stuck in your head is actually more common than you may think. In fact, the science community has gotten involved. BBC News did a story about it. There is even a wikipedia article about "earworms". But I think my favorite thing about earworms that I found was this:


That is one artists depiction of getting a song stuck in your head. Fairly accurate I'd say.

Now, a few quick notes about that song. Here's the lyrics, and here are a few things that kind of upset me about them. In 1000 years, we'll be way past your great, great, great, granddaughter. Like at least 25 more generations or more. Probably more. Also, they say that not much has changed, but apparently everyone lives underwater. That's not a major change? Seriously? If I move to the ocean thats a big change, if I move in the ocean, that's off the charts. A not major change 1000 years in the future would be having another Bush in office. Now, they also say they are on their 7th album. The are not exactly prolific, are they. And they went multi-platinum? Whatever. They did, however, properly mention the flux capacitor and they mention that there are way too many boy bands. So, you've gotta give them credit for that.

Enough about stupid music.

Task o' The Day: What's the worst song to get stuck in your head? What do you do to get it out? Or do you just do like me and dance to some bad music only you can hear? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quick note, I can't believe no one thinks either of the Mackey's are awesome. They are. For real. I'll have a new poll up tomorrow, along with a HUGE announcement.

Here is a picture of me doing what may prove to be my last home insepction.

3 comments:

Brent said...

Yeah, man. What's up with that? 0/8? Bush does better than that.

And to answer your question, that stooopid Pink song "So what? I'm still a rockstar..." It's the worst song lyrically I've ever heard. Yes, worse than "Sex and Candy".

Jennifer said...

I listened to a bit of that song. I can't imagine how terrible it'd be all techno-d and beat boxed out for cheerleading.

Jackie Higgins said...

I once read in Reader's Digest (i know- dork) that "You are my Sunshine" is the most-frequently stuck in your head song. I just thought I'd mention it so you could get a new one stuck.